The Department of Environmental Engineering was first established on September 22 1999 in accordance with Decree of the Directorate General of Higher Education No. 413/DIKTI/kep/1999, and also the issuance of registered status. The reason behind the establishment of the Department of Environmental Engineering UII is the needs at the time and also in the future, which are:
- The environmental damage/degradation problem that continues to occur or increases both nationally and internationally, and becomes a global issue which was then realized by 179 countries in the world including Indonesia to conduct the Earth Summit 1992 in Rio de Janeiro.
- The result of the Earth Summit influenced Indonesian government to follow up with Agenda 21 Indonesia on national strategies for sustainable development.
- The 1st point was then responded by the Indonesian government by opening The Indonesian Environmental Impact Management Agency (BAPEDAL) at the national, provincial, and district levels throughout Indonesia.
- It was predicted in 1999 that there will be a gap between supply and demand, where the national demand for Environmental Engineering experts is about 40,040 people. On the other hand, the Environmental Engineering graduates from universities with Department of Environmental Engineering has not yet reached 1500 people.
- The issues of 2nd and 3rd point help the public and industries aware of environmental management, and they won’t get sanctions. As a logical consequence, the need for environmental engineering graduates is increasing.
In 2002 the Department of Environmental Engineering, UII was accredited in accordance with SK BAN PT No. 009/BAN-PT/AK-V/S1/V/2002 and then in 2005 received a B accreditation in accordance with SK BAN PT No. 020/BAN-PT/Ak-IX/S1/X/2005. In 2011, the Department of Environmental Engineering, UII was accredited A in accordance with SK BAN PT No 034/BAN-PT/Ak-XIV/S1/X/2011.
In eighteen (18) years of development since first established, the Department of Environmental Engineering UII has become a dependable department in the field of similar study programs nationally. In order to produce graduates who can compete globally, the Department of Environmental Engineering UII has received an international accreditation from ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology), Engineering Accreditation Commission based in the United States. This achievement makes UII Department of Environmental Engineering the first Environmental Engineering study program in Indonesia to receive international accreditation from ABET for private universities.
ABET accreditation is internationally recognized and is considered a guarantee of quality standards from accredited universities. The evaluations included students, study program objectives, study program outputs, curriculum, teaching qualifications, administration, facilities and supporting and financial facilities. ABET establishes a minimum curriculum for various engineering programs, for example ABET requires all undergraduate graduates to receive at least a year of study in natural science and mathematics, as well as in the field of general education, and also design and planning classes.
By receiving the international accreditation, the Department of Environmental Engineering UII is expected to be able to fulfill graduate qualifications in the future, so that they can compete globally and participate in managing more complex environmental problems.